WHAT IS OUR MISSION?
Love Hope Strength (LHS) is an international, music-centric cancer charity dedicated to saving lives, one concert at a time. The mission is to save lives, right now, with the advances that have already been made in cancer care. We do not fund cancer research, rather we use our funds to:
WHY IS THIS OUR MISSION?
As of 2010, cancer is now the world’s #1 killer and will touch each and every one of us in our lifetime. It is a global issue in need of support from a worldwide network. In 2007, LHSF was co-founded by leukemia survivors Mike Peters of the Welsh rock band The Alarm and President of CSI Entertainment James Chippendale who believe that awareness, early detection and proper treatment should not be a luxury and wanted to find a way to ensure that all people have access to the same resources that saved their lives.
HOW DO WE ACCOMPLISH THIS?
With headquarters in Denver, CO and chapters in Dallas, Peru, United Kingdom and Australia, the Love Hope Strength Foundation has performed concerts on 6 continents in just three year’s time. We led musical pilgrimages to remote venues such as the base camp of Everest, the top of The Empire State Building, the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu, the glaciers of Kilimanjaro, the sunrise of Mount Fuji, the Valleys of Rhondda and reached out through the universal language of music. We have also teamed up with DKMS, the world’s largest marrow registry, to expand our reach by conducting bone marrow drives at concerts, music festivals and events in the United States and United Kingdom so that people, like founder James Chippendale himself, can find the match that will save their lives. .Joining the Love Hope Strength Army in the battle against cancer are musicians from every corner of the globe. High school bands and Nepalese folk singers, to legends in rock n’ roll such as members of The Cult, The Stray Cats, Donavon Frankenreiter, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Jason Mraz, Disco Biscuits, Flight of the Conchords, Brett Dennen, Michael Franti, Gin Blossoms, The Fixx, Tokyo Police Club, Squeeze, Candlebox, Seether, Smithereens, Dick Dale, Everclear and hundreds more have done their part to help spread the word through music. Each event is documented under the guidance of critically acclaimed producer, Alex Coletti, to build awareness through programs like Everest Rocks, now airing on MTV’s High Def channel, Palladia and NBC’s Universal Sports.
WHAT HAVE WE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR?
Funds from recent events have:
- -Purchased the first mammography machine for the country of Nepal.
- -Purchased the first brachytherapy (internal radiation) machine for the country of Nepal.
- -Funded a mobile cancer unit which will screen and treat 20-000-30,000 patients per year in remote regions of Peru.
- -Funded a new wing for a cancer care center in Wales.
- -Purchased a transport vehicle for a children’s cancer center in New Jersey.
- -Conducted over 800 bone marrow drives at venues such as The Pepsi Center and Red Rocks Amphitheatre, festivals such as Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Mile High Music Fest, Union County Music Fest and Austin City Limits.
- -Added over 30,000 people to the national marrow database.
- -Located over 400 matches for patients in need of bone marrow transplants.
- -Brought supplies to cancer centers in need around the world.
- -Hosted the first saliva-based bone marrow registration drive at a concert in UK.
- -Funded the making of Everest Rocks, a documentary on cancer survivorship now in it’s 4th year of airing on Palladia (MTV High Def Channel) and new airings on NBC’s Universal Sports.
- -Funded a Public Service Announcement on the need for bone marrow donors with world renowned musicians at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
- -Funded the construction of the first dedicated children’s cancer center in Tanzania which opened in February of 2011.
- -Funded More To Live For, an award winning documentary about 3 men in need of marrow transplants.
- -Working with the International Coalition of Cancer (UICC) to make saliva based bone marrow registration a global initiative.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
Go to the “Get Involved” section of our site to check out all of the many things you can do bring love, hope and strength to the world.
Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know about our upcoming concerts and events.